Sunday, February 8, 2009

Connections

It stuck me as I was browsing the numerous matches that have been sent to me on eHarmony, that there are A LOT of people out there that are craving a connection. The want to find someone to witness their life and share their time with. It seems that as technology expands and gives us more and more ways to communicate with each other, we are slowly loosing our ties. When I was younger, before getting my first mobile phone, I could remember people's numbers and birthdays - now with technology everywhere, I can no longer remember the details that used to initially keep me in touch with a friend. I have a lot of friends on Facebook, but most of them I haven't actually spoken to in years. I start to doubt whether or not i would recognize their voice if I heard it on the phone or call from across the room. I would assume the voice was call to a different Jamie in the room.

Don't get me wrong. I know what is going on in people's lives that I would have otherwise completely lost touch with if not for technology. there is something nice about that and it makes smile to remember the times I have spent with each of them. It seems to me that as it gets easier and easier to stay in touch with people it gets harder and harder to initiate contact.

Everyone sits alone in the coffee shop with their lap tops and are busily connecting with people far far away while those in hear shot are ignored. I am guilty of this as well (in fact, I am doing this as I type.) Our culture is different now. Not good or bad, just different. An interesting conundrum of connected and isolated, in touch and out of the loop... what will the future hold? I hope that we can regain some of the person contact from the past. It is nice to have a friend stop by and check on you or call to say hi. I have to make the change as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment